The idea of coming up
with a new flag was reached during the preparation of the
second phase of the Philippine Revolution. It was personally
conceived by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo, President of the
Revolutionary Government and sewn at 535 Morrison Hill Road,
Hongkong by Mrs. Marcela Marino Agoncillo - wife of the
first Filipino diplomat Felipe Agoncillo, with the help of
her daughter Lorenza and Mrs. Delfina Herbosa Natividad,
niece of Dr. Jose Rizal and wife of Gen. Salvador Natividad.
The flag was made within five days and handed over by Mrs.
Agoncillo to Gen. Aguinaldo before the latter boarded the
American dispatch boat, McCulloch on May 17, 1898 on his way
to the Philippines. The revolutionists originally planned
the hostility against the Spanish Forces on May 130, 1898
but a bloody encounter ensued between the Filipino Forces
and Spanish marines on May 28 at Bo. Alapan, Imus, Cavite
where the Philippine Flag received its baptism of fire and
blood. Gen. Aguinaldo hoisted the flag as a sign of victory
against Spain. On June 12, 1898, the Philippine Flag brought
from Hong Kong was unfurled for the first time at the
historic window of the Aguinaldo Mansion in Kawit, Cavite as
the country's Independence was being proclaimed before the
Filipino people. During the American regime, the display of
the Philippine Flag in any places was prohibited and it
provided severe punishment for violators. The prohibition
was lifted eleven years later and reverence to the
Philippine flag was allowed by virtue of an Executive Order
which declared October 30, 1919 as "Philippine Flag Day."
Though authorized and venerated during this historic
occasion, the flag, however, had minor discrepancies. On
March 25, 1936, President Manuel L. Quezon. issued E.O. No.
23 prescribing the technical description and specification
of the Filipino Flag. It was followed by other directives
assigning the National Historical Institute as the authority
in Philippine Vexillaries and Heraldry.